OMG breakfast. It is one of my favourite meals of the day and although the thermometer calls for a cold creamy smoothie, sometimes I just can’t help myself from indulging in a yummy yogurt parfait, topped with this seasons farmer’s market finest. It feels just a little cruel to blend the hell out of such beautiful berries all the time!
When you are doing a full on detox it is wise to stay away from dairy of all varieties to give the body a little break, but as this is only a mini-tox I feel good about including it as long as it is of the goat variety.
While cow dairy is a fan fave in North America, it is actually the goat kind that takes the popularity prize in the rest of the world. If you are doing a mini-cleanse or have trouble digesting cow milk (& related products) here is why you should consider going goat!
- Goat milk has smaller protein molecules and less curd tension that cow milk making it easier for us humans to digest
- Goat milk actually contains higher levels of calcium, phosphorus, Vitamin A and riboflavin than that from the cow
- Goat milk does not contain the same complex proteins that cow milk does and therefore does not cause an immune response in our body – Fun fact, children who suffer from a sensitivity to milk often show less symptoms (wheezing, eczema, ear infections, digestive issues) when they ditch the cow and go goat
- Goat milk is high in tryptophan, the precursor to your happy hormone serotonin – don’t we all want more of that?
For a quick and easy breakfast I like to add some seeds, honey and plain old goat yogurt to a good old fashion mason jar the night before. Top with the berries du jour in the morning, and you have a portable breakfast. Throw it in your purse and enjoy while you linger over work email… Or celebrity gossip, your call.
Goat Yogurt Parfait
1 x Tbsp chia seeds
2 x Tbsp hemp hearts
1/4 cup large flaked oats
3/4 cup plain goat yogurt
drizzle of honey (optional)
fresh berries of choice
- The night before place chia seeds, hemp hearts and oats in mason jar. Shake to combine
- Top with yogurt and honey. Stir to mix with seeds & oats
- The next morning top with fresh berries, and enjoy